Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Lovely Downton Abbey.

"I couldn't have electricity in the house, I wouldn't sleep a wink. All those vapors floating about."
~Dowager Countess Violet Crawley of Grantham, Downton Abbey

Please tell me you're watching.


Downton Abbey. On PBS Masterpiece Classics. I don't know why I didn't know about Season 1 last year, but I'm just as happy to watch it all in one fell swoop on Netflix. Season 2 has just started and I'm all caught up. I admit I'm hooked and can hardly wait for next Sunday to roll around to watch Season 2: Episode 3. I'm thoroughly enjoying the drama, the surprises, the love stories, and all the characters so much. Oh Mr. Bates, I'm in love.



And who couldn't be fascinated with the elegance of the Edwardian era. All their dresses, their interiors, and their "proper" ways. Maybe it's a bit much for our age, but I think we ought to be less casual and take a cue from our early 19th century examples. What do you think? Highclere Castle in the UK stands in as Downton Abbey. Apparently you can go on a tour starting again in Spring 2012.





If you're not yet watching, you can catch up on Season 1 on Netflix, and Season 2: Episodes 1 and 2 can be viewed on PBS.org. I also think all of it can be accessed on iTunes, or of course you could order the DVDs. But Sunday nights, you'll find me glued to PBS.

.
.
.
.

1 comment:

linda said...

I LOVE Downton Abbey and, like you, I happened on it by chance. I checked out the first season at the library, and I was immediately hooked. I am seriously thinking of buying season 2 on Amazon so that I don't have to wait to see the episodes.