Saturday, December 10, 2011

My heart wants to sing every song it hears.

"I can't seem to stop singing wherever I am.
And what's worse, I can't seem to stop saying things - anything and everything I think and feel."

~Fraulein Maria, in The Sound of Music


I feel much like Maria lately, in the quote above...

"The hills are alive with the sound of music." Tonight, a spur of the moment decision was made and Katie and I went to see this at the Tower Theater:

Photo found here.
Only it was really this...


Yes, you read that right... it was a sing-along. SO, SO fun! Goofy, silly, nerdy Sound of Music fans. As we walked into the theater, we were each handed a cellophane bag with such items as a silk white flower (Edelweiss), an invitation to the ball, a piece of fabric like the drapes out of which Maria made the children's play clothes, a confetti pop thing (for when Maria and the Captain finally kiss!), etc. We were instructed to pull the items out at the appropriate times and use them/wave them for all to see. We also were given certain tell-tale calls for certain characters such as the Baroness (hisssssssssing like a snake), Gretl (awww--because she's so cute), Maria (cheering of course), the Nazis (booooooo), the Captain (cheering and hubba hubba), etc.

So silly, but so fun! Fun to sing along (words were projected on the screen like in karaoke). Fun to watch a musical I haven't seen in a long time. Fun to take part in a love story. I'm such a girl, but I love love stories. :) And so fun to pull the plug on my confetti popper when the kissing started! :)

I'm looking forward to February when they'll have the West Side Story sing-along!
.
.
.
.

4 comments:

Mandy said...

That sounds like so much fun, I love the sound of music as well. Soren tells me to stop when I start to sing along with the movie.

Shauntel said...

Shut the front door. Belle would've died. So sad I missed this!

eclaires said...

Okay, first off... Mandy: Soren cannot claim genes in this family if he tells you to stop when you sing along to musicals. :)

Secondly, Shauntel... Seriously, almost immediately when I heard about it, I thought about Belle. I'm so not kidding. We decided to go about 45 minutes before it started and I thought, I have to tell Shauntel... but lame, I don't have your phone number!?! I felt so bad because I knew how much she would love it and how much I would love watching her love it! Next time... They do it every year. And if you're game to let her watch the more mature-themed West Side Story, then get her started now and we'll go in February to sing along. :) So sorry I didn't know about it sooner! Maybe we'll have to have our own version at your house. :)

Becky said...

That sounds like so (SO! SO! SO!) much fun! I would totally be into that.