Friday, November 05, 2010

Two Black and Whites.

"The history of our grandparents is remembered not with rose petals but in the laughter and tears of their children and their children's children. It is into us that the lives of grandparents have gone. It is in us that their history becomes a future."
~Charles and Ann Morse


The other day my mom started laughing when I was telling her a story about a bold and honest conversation I had had earlier in the week, marveling at how much my personality is like her mother's. Nedra was a feisty lady who got away with saying things that other people wouldn't dream of and I suppose I am kind of like her. I think about that every once in awhile.

Grandma and I didn't always get along. We apparently butted heads a lot, probably because we're so much alike. Neither one of us likes to be told what to do and both of us like telling other people what to do. Didn't always make for a smooth match. But before she died in 1992, we made amends and to this day, I honestly don't remember the butting of the heads that much. I remember the feisty nature of our conversations, but that's something that I think of fondly. Selective memory, I suppose. I think we'd really get along today. Likely, we've both grown up a bit in the last 18 years...

Her picture has much better quality because mine was taken in the mirror. :) Remember, I said it was a self portrait session.

It's kind of bizarre... but compare our eyebrows. They are exactly the same!
.
.
.
.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grandma would be pleased to see what a fine lady you have become. And also that her "picture smile" lives on in you!

Mom

Andrea, Mrs. said...

This post just makes me happy! What a great memory to have today and to share with everyone. It's nice to know who you are and how your family has made you into the person you are today.