Thursday, September 09, 2010

MLK's last words moved me.

"And so I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man! Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord!!"
~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

The other night, we watched a video remix of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s last speech and I was pretty moved by it. The music and manipulation of his voice to seem as though he is singing certainly struck a chord with me. But also, I guess I didn't recall the last speech he gave on the eve of his death, included the words, "I've seen the Promised Land. I may not get there with you." I wonder somehow if his soul knew he was going to die. Certainly, he knew of the threats made on his life. I just wonder if he knew it, somehow, that it was imminent. What an amazing man, a man purposefully put on this earth by God at a well-chosen time. He had a mission to fulfill.



You can read the full transcript of his speech here.

1 comment:

Andrea, Mrs. said...

Thank you for sharing that. That was awesome.