Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Wish List: Swimming with Beluga Whales.

A couple of months ago, I mentioned in this post that beluga whales make me happy. I just love them. Since elementary school, they've been on my list of favorite animals. I loved them so much, that I did a report on them in 4th grade. I'm sure if I looked hard enough I could find it. (I just found it! Man, 4th grade writing is sometimes painful to read, but I got an A+ and my teacher apparently thought it was "interesting" and "fascinating to read.")

So on my wish list is a swim with the Belugas at Sea World or somewhere else. Since belugas primarily roam in Arctic and sub-Arctic waters, swimming with them would require a wetsuit and a tenacious ability to endure cold water. But aren't they cute? I think it would be worth it. I went swimming in my dad's new pool years ago, soon after they moved in (before the heater was turned on) and the water was in the 50s or 60s. I could do it. :)

Remember Raffi? Well, Raffi sang about the belugas. "Baby Beluga" The beluga trio below looks like they're singing. The lyrics are posted below. Come on, start singing.

Baby beluga in the deep blue sea,
Swim so wild and you swim so free.
Heaven above and the sea below,
And a little white whale on the go.

Baby beluga, baby beluga, Is the water warm?
Is your mama home, with you so happy?

Way down yonder where the dolphins play,
Where you dive and splash all day,
Waves roll in and the waves roll out.
See the water squirting out of your spout.

Baby beluga, oh, baby beluga, sing your little song.
Sing for all your friends; we like to hear you.

When it's dark, you're home and fed.
Curled up snug in your waterbed.
Moon is shining and the stars are out.
Good night, little whale, good night.

Baby beluga, oh, baby beluga. With tomorrow's sun,
another day's begun. You'll soon be waking.

Baby beluga in the deep blue sea,
Swim so wild and you swim so free.
Heaven above and the sea below,
And a little white whale on the go.
You're just a little white whale on the go.

So looking at the Sea World site, it looks like it's a mere $170 + park admission. SO worth it! Here's all the info. They offer all kinds of behind the scenes tours. So fun. That's it... I'm doing it next summer!

Beluga closeup photo found here.

Beluga trio photo found here.

4 comments:

by Kimberlee St. Clair said...

Oooo....love the pictures. I would totally do this with you if we could ever pull it off. I was lucky enough to get to pet and feed and kiss some dolphins over spring break! What an experience...literally rubbing noses with some of God's most eloquent creatures. You should totally do that!

by Kimberlee St. Clair said...

Dang...that really would have been helpful. There is only one name, so far, that we both agree on...but I'm not ready to stop hunting for names we like....

I still want to hear the dream...did you write it in your "dream" journal???

Nancy said...

Worthy Goal! We saw them (and the people swimming with them) when we went to Sea World for Auntie Vicki's 60th birthday with all of her grandkids. She took her four grandchildren swimming with the dolphins! Start saving now! They are adorable

Kare Bear said...

umm... I can help with the Sea World thing (I get discounts).